How to Restore Your Muscle Car Interior
Immediately after buying the classic car of your dreams, you’re probably not thinking how best to restore the interior.
Yet becoming the envy of every classic car enthusiast in your area won’t happen if your ride’s interior shows its age.
Thus, along with planning how to restore your vehicle’s engine and what color racing stripe you’re going to run along the body, you need to give just as much thought to the interior.
Your Roadmap to Successful Muscle Car Interior Restoration
Your first impulse may be to grab a screwdriver and a razor knife and get to work. Yet that’s the fastest way to end up with parts strewn all around you, an interior cabin that barely resembles the inside of a car from any era, and no clue as to what to do next.
Instead, we recommend that you stick to the following proven process:
- Develop a plan: Before you even touch your new classic ride, you should first put pen to paper and plan out every element of your interior restoration. Assign a priority to each task to create an order in which you want them done.
- Create a budget: Plan out not only the money you have to spend, but also how much time you can devote to the project. Overestimate to account for unexpected costs and problems that are sure to arise during your project.
- Put your nose in some books: The internet can be an invaluable resource in understanding muscle car interior restoration, as can automotive magazines, assembly manuals, and original fabric swatch books.
- Get organized: You’ll be amazed at how quickly a disassembled car can take up every corner of your garage. Before you begin cutting into your car, create adequate storage space and a way to organize and store related components accordingly.
- Find the right tools: You won’t find the tools you need to effectively restore muscle car interior in your average tool box. Rather you’ll likely need specialty items such as:
- Heat Guns
- Polishing wheels
- Pry tools
- Hog ring pliers
- An air compressor
Talk to mechanics and body shop technicians in your area to see exactly what you’ll need.
- Once you’ve done all this, the rest is simple—Put your plan into action: Don’t be afraid to ask for help from the experts along the way. Also remember to photograph every step of the process so that you’ll have visual reference material to consult in the future.
Can your classic ride truly be all that you’ve dreamed it will become without giving the right amount of TLC to it’s interior?
If you’re wondering how to tackle your muscle car interior restoration project, know that you are not alone in this process. You have us here at Legendary Auto Interiors to turn to. For questions about parts availability, service packages, or restoration tips, just fill out our online contact form, and we’ll be happy to get back to you.
What makes a classic car buff different from the average car owner? Whether it’s the love of vintage design or a sense of nostalgia, you may value your classic car as more than just a way to get from one…
Even after putting a ton of time and money into replacing all of the other components of your vehicle’s interior, a shabby looking headliner can really hamper its aesthetics and value. Not to worry; compared to some of the other…
Congratulations! You’ve finally made good on that promise you swore to yourself back in high school body shop class to one day make a classic muscle car your own. Now that you’ve got the car in your garage, what’s next…